Originally published in 2016 by Llewellyn, it went out of print earlier this year and I received the rights back. So I made a new, self-published edition with some updates and notes in the footnotes. I also removed the word “totem” from the text and swapped in more culturally neutral terms like “nature spirits” and “animism”.
Working with nature spirits isn’t just about what we can get from them; it’s a reciprocal relationship that requires us to know the land itself. In this book I show you ways to create new connections with the nature around you, identify nature spirits who may facilitate that growth, and use rituals and other practices to deepen these bonds.
Most importantly, you’ll learn ways to give back to the land and the spirits with offerings that make a real difference. Enter into an animistic ecosystem populated not just with the spirits of animals, plants, and fungi, but landforms, celestial bodies, and natural forces. Deepen your spiritual connection to the earth, and rejoin the community of nature!
- Chapter 1: The Importance of Reconnecting With Nature
- Chapter 2: The Basics of Bioregionalism
- Chapter 3: Introducing the Spirits Themselves
- Chapter 4: The Animistic Ecosystem
- Chapter 5: Practices For the Spirits and Yourself
- Chapter 6: Animism Every Day
- Conclusion: Wonder and Awe at the World
- Appendix A: Recommended Reading
- Appendix B: Beneficial Nonprofit Organizations
- Appendix C: Helpful Hints For Animistic Research
- Appendix D: A Quick Guide to Guided Meditation
To purchase the shiny new edition of Nature Spirituality From the Ground Up, click here. Paperback and ebooks both available!